Temporary Visitor Restrictions
For the health of our patients, visitors, health care providers and communities, we ask that people do not visit our facilities, including senior services and long-term care locations.
Visitation Exceptions Currently Allowed:
- One parent/guardian with a child
- One visitor for mother/baby and two visitors for NICU
- Two visitors for women in labor (including doula if requested)
- One support person where deemed essential for the emotional well-being of the patient
- Any family member for end-of-life events (one at a time and with PPE if COVID+)
- One visitor when patient has received a life-threatening diagnosis (e.g., advanced cancer diagnosis)
- Community clergy/spiritual support (at patient’s request only)
Effective June 29, visitation was expanded to include:
- One visitor with Emergency Department patients (excluding PUI and COVID-19 patients)
- One visitor with all other admitted patients (excluding PUI and COVID-19 patients)
- Two visitors with children under 12
Exceptions will be considered based on end-of-life situations or when a visitor is essential for the patient's emotional well-being and care.
We recognize that this can be disappointing to our visitors, patients and residents, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you or your family. The health of you and our patients/residents is our top priority.
We believe that having loved ones nearby lifts spirits, brightens moods and improves healing. However, everyone's safety, there are a few things to consider when coming by to say hello.
General Visiting Hours
7 am – 8:30 pm, daily
- You can have a maximum of two visitors at any one time.
- Children under the age of 12 require special permission by patient's nurse to visit patient rooms, and are not allowed in the ICU unless they are a patient's sibling.
- Wash your hands often while visiting our facility. It prevents the spread of germs that can cause infection.
- If you've got a fever, cold, or any infection symptoms, please stay home.
- Southern Virginia Regional Medical Center is a tobacco-free campus. No smoking is allowed anywhere on the grounds.
- Don't bring patients food or candies unless your attending doctor gives permission.
- Animals are prohibited in the hospital except for registered Seeing Eye dogs.
- Emergency Department (ED) – Visitation in our ED is limited to one visitor per patient, at the discretion of our physician and/or nursing staff and may be altered depending on the patient's condition or special needs.
Our gift shop is a great place to find all kinds of gifts to tell loved ones "I care." Visit us in the hospital main lobby daily from 10 am until 4 pm and 6:30 pm until 8:30 pm.
Patients, guests and their families can also get a healthy meal, snack or beverage in our cafeteria. You'll find it on the south end of the building on the first floor. Vending machines are also available in the cafeteria as well as in ICU and ED waiting areas.
The cafeteria serves meals at the following times:
Breakfast: 7:30 am - 9:30 am
Lunch: 11:30 am - 2 pm