Living Well with Diabetes
Join us for a FREE seminar designed for adults with newly diagnosed diabetes and for people needing a refresher course in diabetes management.
This is a basic diabetes program therefore no physician referral is required and no RSVP is required to attend.
Learn about basic diabetes medication management and meal planning.
- Understand what carbohydrates are, where they're found and why they affect our blood sugar
- Learn the Healthy Plate Method and use it to identify appropriate portion sizes
- Learn how to read nutrition labels and utilize information to accurately count carbohydrates
- Understand carb exchanges as a means of counting carbohydrates when a nutrition label is unavailable
- Tips for dining out and fast-food
- Cost comparison of grocery store vs. fast-food
- Blood glucose testing
The seminar meets every 2nd and 4th Wednesday in the computer lab at the Family YMCA of Emporia Greensville at 212 Weaver Avenue. For more information call Mitchell VanGelder, RDN, at (434) 348-4488.