Lost in Translation - watch video here
Survivorship is not only about successful cancer treatment; it is about living life fully. At the time of diagnosis, patients and their loved ones are faced with uncertainty, loss, physical and emotional pain, and confusion over treatment options. However, once treatment has ended, many feel just as confused about the next step in their journey. The end-of-treatment transition is an opportunity to provide survivors with ongoing support, education and care in a structured environment. Bon Secours Cancer Institute is pleased to offer this new program uniquely designed around the needs of the cancer survivor who has completed treatment.
Our patients will be provided:
- An individualized survivorship care plan outlining diagnosis, treatment course, future follow-up and prevention recommendations to help them transition back to their non-oncology health care providers
- Comprehensive evaluation of the treatments received and the potential side effects (especially cardiovascular and pulmonary)
- Exercise referrals
- Nutrition counseling and referral to a registered dietitian when needed
- Continued emotional support provided by the oncology patient navigators
- Smoking cessation coaching/online and program referrals
- Community resources
- Educational programs
- A personalized action plan for healthy living
- Ongoing support and education for end-of-treatment stage
The clinic is managed by Mary Baker, MSN, RN, FNP-C, AOCNP, CBEC, CBCN, who is also a breast cancer survivor. Mary earned her Master of Science in Nursing from the University of Virginia and she is board-certified as a family nurse practitioner by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. She is certified in clinical breast exam by the National Consortium of Breast Centers and in breast care by the Oncology Nursing Society. Mary is compassionate about the unique needs of the cancer survivor and looks forward to sharing her knowledge and resources with survivors of all types of cancer so that they may live their lives to the fullest.