news & events
Bon Secours Richmond Nationally Recognized for Advancing Women
Health system to receive NAFE Award for fourth consecutive year
Bon Secours Richmond Health System (www.bonsecours.com) is being recognized as one of the top employers in the nation for recruiting, developing and advancing women by the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE). This is the fourth year that NAFE has recognized Bon Secours Richmond in its Top Companies for Executive Women awards program. About eighty-five percent of Bon Secours Richmond’s more than 7,000 employees are women.
Bon Secours Richmond is one of only five nonprofits throughout the country to receive this honor, and this year each nonprofit is in the healthcare industry. In addition, NAFE annually names for-profit companies to its list of Top 50 Companies for Executive Women. The health system will be recognized as a Top Nonprofit for Female Executives at an awards luncheon on March 18 in New York City along with representatives from the other 54 award-winning organizations.
“Our success as a healthcare organization depends every day on decisions made by thousands of women who work throughout Bon Secours Richmond,” says Bonnie Shelor, senior vice president of human resources for Bon Secours Richmond Health System. “This award is the strongest affirmation of the values and the many contributions that women bring to Bon Secours.”
In naming Bon Secours Richmond as one of the nation’s leading innovators, NAFE evaluated the organization on having a high percentage of women executives; embracing diversity; developing and supporting toward female advancement; and assisting not only female executives, but all employees, particularly in the development of work-life balance programs. In the nonprofit category, Bon Secours Richmond was found to have the highest percentage of women serving on an organization’s board.
NAFE named Bon Secours Richmond because of the numerous benefits, professional development and work-life programs Bon Secours offers to all employees, including:
- Comprehensive medical benefits, dependent care, and programs for wellness, education and development, and tuition reimbursement.
- Job sharing, telecommuting, compressed work weeks, flexibility to move from full- to part-time in most job categories without penalty.
- Building and developing employees’ careers. In the past six years, Bon Secours Richmond has presented more than 330 classes for nearly 3,550 employees. Employees have completed about 563,000 online courses.
- On-site child care offering 575 spaces for employees’ children at three Family Centers, which include camps, volunteer programs, scholarships and intergenerational programming.
- Wellness programs, including regular health screenings and numerous resources, classes and support groups.
- Generous maternity benefits, with a guaranteed 14-16 weeks of maternity leave. Other benefits include an additional 12 weeks of unpaid leave with manager approval, flexible work schedules, financial assistance for adoptive parents, volunteer assistance to new moms, and more.
The NAFE award is among many prestigious recognitions that Bon Secours Richmond Health System continues to receive from organizations that include AARP, Experience Works, Alfred P. Sloan, Companies That Care, Richmond Chamber of Commerce, Wellness Councils of America and Working Mother magazine.
Bon Secours Richmond Health System is made up of four acute-care hospitals, St. Mary’s, Memorial Regional, Richmond Community and St. Francis as well as Bon Secours HealthSource, comprised of more than 20 physician practice groups, Home Health, Hospice and assisted living facilities.