news & events
All Star award recognizes Bon Secours for workplace flexibility
Richmond, Va. (May 3, 2006) Bon Secours Richmond Health System has been recognized for business effectiveness in workplace flexibility with the Alfred P. Sloane award, given at the eighth annual Employer All Star Awards, held May 3 in Richmond.
Presented by the Richmond Human Resource Management Association and the Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce, the Employer All Star Awards recognize and honor organizations in the greater Richmond area that have made outstanding achievements in building a world-class workforce.
“Bon Secours recognizes the value employees place on their time—and having control of it,” said Bonnie Shelor, vice president of human resources for Bon Secours Richmond. “Flexibility is an extension of compassion. Our employees must be flexible in working with our patients, and we aim to be accommodating to them, in return.”
As part of Bon Secours Health System’s flexible work/life benefits offerings:
- Employees can choose fulltime, part-time and on-call schedules and switch from one to the other, when necessary.
- Bon Secours employees caring for children or elderly family members are eligible for dependent care benefits proportionate to their schedule.
- Employees working 16 hours per week may receive benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance and pension accrual.
- Managers are given authority to create a variety of staffing arrangements: job sharing, flexible scheduling and choice of days, nights, evenings and weekends.
- Where appropriate, telecommuting is an option.
- Male and female employees can take additional days off after birth of a child or adoption
The Alfred P. Sloan Award was new to the All Star Awards this year. The aim of this nationally-recognized designation is to increase employers’ awareness, understanding and utilization of workplace flexibility as a business strategy.
In addition to the Sloane award, Bon Secours was a finalist in six categories, including diversity and employee development, innovative practices and employer of choice.