Our dedication to the health and wellbeing of our community is highlighted in our wellness initiatives in which we seek to bring knowledge and the ability to our neighbors to engage in physical activity and make healthier food choices. Obesity is at epidemic proportions and many chronic illnesses are related to the management of these lifestyle components. It is critical that our outreach and programming assists our community in the prevention and management of these conditions. Our goal is to engage children, adults, and families in fruitful, “hands-on” programs and education to solidify sustained lifestyle behaviors emphasizing health and wellbeing.
We currently offer a variety of wellness outreach efforts and programs including:
Children & Family Activities
- C.H.E.F (Creating a Healthy Empowered Future) Cooking Academy: An 11-week culinary arts and life-skills program for young women 11-16 years of age in the East End area
- Know Your Veggies: In partnership with Slow Foods RVA at Linwood Holton Elementary School this program incorporates the MyPlate eating concepts, Chefs in schools and an outdoor classroom set in a large education garden.
- Peter Paul Development Center & other children’s programs: Cooking, gardening, and games are often incorporated in our many programs and outreach activities to provide an impactful and engaging experience.
- Richmond Cycling Corps: The Cycling Corps’ purpose is to change the lives of youth who live in Richmond's public housing projects through cycling and mentorship.
We proudly partner with many community organizations to bring access to healthy food and knowledge. Particularly through the wellness initiative, we continue a strong partnership for the annual YMCA Healthy Kids Day event in April each year and have supported the YMCA GirlForce program in YMCA after-school programs.
- Care A Van & St. Joseph’s Outreach Clinic Nutrition Services: Nutrition counseling and management for a variety of nutrition related conditions and diseases including obesity, heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and others.
- Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less Program: A 15-week weight management program provided twice a year to Care A Van, St. Joseph’s Outreach Clinic and other partnering area free clinics.
Access to Healthy Food
- Tricycle Gardens partnership: Work closely with this local organization to provide fresh healthy food and sustainable gardening education to vulnerable areas in need.
- Memorial Regional Medical Center: With assistance from Tricycle Gardens and others we have recently cultivated a beautiful holistic healing and food-producing garden as well as a children’s garden at our hospital in Mechanicsville, Virginia.
We are passionate about the health and wellbeing of our neighbors and are committed to providing education, resources, and information to children, adults, and families of our surrounding communities.