Reach Out & Read
About Reach Out & Read
The nationally recognized Reach Out & Read Program (ROR) provides books for young children when they visit the Richmond Community Hospital Emergency Department, the St. Mary's Hospital Emergency Pediatric Department or the mobile medical CARE-A-VANS. Volunteers transform the sites into literacy-rich areas for children and parents, while helping families learn the joys and the techniques of reading aloud.
Volunteers come from all walks of life but have two important traits in common: a love of books and stories and a genuine interest in helping children. Volunteers read to children and show by example that reading aloud is enjoyable for both parents and children.
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Those under 18 may still apply. They simply need a parent or guardian to also apply to volunteer and accompany them during volunteer hours
- Ability to commit to one three hour shift per month
- Love of books and helping children
Click on the link below to see a listing of current volunteer placements and details regarding duties and responsibilities for each.
Community Outreach Opportunity Directory
How to Become a Volunteer
We are excited about your interest in volunteering and hope to make the process as simple as possible.
- Complete and submit the online application.
- Bon Secours Richmond completes the reference check.
- The volunteer completes TB testing and obtains an ID badge while Bon Secours Richmond conducts a background check.
- The volunteer gets staff training and a schedule.
If you have a new or gently used book you would like to donate to Reach Out and Read, please drop them off or mail them to:
Bon Secours Richmond Health System
Attention: Reach Out and Read Bon Secours
413 Stuart Circle, Suite 210
Richmond, VA 23220
We thank you for your support.
For information please contact Tyler Agee at Tyler_Agee@bshsi.org or (804) 213-0392.
- Must be over 18 to volunteer or, if under 18, have parent's permission.
- We currently do not have evening or Sunday hours.
- Minimum requirement is one three hour shifts per month.
- Locations will vary.
- Personal transportation required.