Building healthier communities is at the core of all of Bon Secours' community outreach efforts.
In the tradition of its founding sisters, Bon Secours is committed to bringing good help to those in need. Click on one of the seven topics listed below and discover the breadth of Bon Secours community health efforts in partnership with many health-related organizations and activities throughout the community.
Lobbies for healthcare and social justice issues when the General Assembly is in session.
Works to improve the quality of life for children with asthma.
- In 1996, initiated a school-age asthma program in area schools.
- In 2000, helped to secure a large federal grant to address the problem of pediatric asthma.
- Works in partnership with the Central Virginia Asthma Coalition and Controlling Asthma in the Richmond Metropolitan Area.
Care at the End of Life
Offers palliative care, consultation, bereavement care and grief support groups for patients and their families.
Offers immunizations and free medical services to adults and children without health insurance.
Children's Health Insurance
Assists eligible applicants in the enrollment process for the Commonwealth Children's Health Insurance Program. If you know of a child that may need assistance, please email us.
Community Partnerships Initiative
Provides funds for organizations wishing to join with Bon Secours in building healthier communities.
Every Woman's Life
Provides breast and cervical cancer screenings for women ages 40-64 meeting certain financial criteria.
- Case management, diagnositc tests and treatment available as needed
- Funded through a grant by the Virginia Department of Health through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
For information on eligibility and locations please call:
(804) 359-WELL(9355) or Nancy Malone firstname.lastname@example.org
Improves the quality of living conditions for disadvantaged people.
- Employees have constructed two new homes in partnership with Interfaith Housing, Habitat for Humanity, and other housing organizations.
Faith Community Nurse (formerly the Parish Nurse Network)
Offers holistic health service training to RNs who volunteer with church congregations by serving as educators and counselors. Download the brochure.
Safe Harbor was founded in April 2000 after a St. Mary’s nurse, frustrated with the lack of safe housing options available to survivors of domestic violence, advocated within Bon Secours Health Systems for increased services and support.
Open since 2000, Safe Harbor attempts to break the cycle of domestic abuse and is partnered with Bon Secours Richmond, Commonwealth Catholic Charities, Henrico County, the VCU Sexual Assault Program and the YWCA.