Because of the rich diversity of those it serves, the mission of Bon Secours is always changing and growing. The Office of Cross-Cultural Services is designed to raise awareness around the cultural diversity of our community, our patients and families. And the office enhances the quality of our care through a better understanding of their needs. Cross-Cultural Services provides the following:
Culturally Competent Staff and Services
• Diversity & Inclusion education and cultural formation for staff
• Active partnerships and collaboration with diverse community associations
• Interfaith and multilingual pastoral care
• Diversity & Inclusion teams on all campuses
Comprehensive Language Services
• Multilingual medical interpretation is available at each hospital and physician office
• Bon Secours offers interpreter training and in-servicing for bi-lingual staff
• Multilingual spiritual care services
• Interpreters and translation for persons who are sight or hearing impaired
Bon Secours Virginia is not only deeply committed to its local communities, but also to those in need around the world. Through our Global Ministry, we have a long-standing commitment to Haiti, and actively supports efforts to improve the health and well being of the Haitian people. In addition, Bon Secours Ministries is currently developing a long-term strategy to provide on-going medical services and sustainable development to the sick and suffering of Peru, South Africa and other developing countries. For more on the Sisters of Bon Secours visit www.bonsecours.org
Our current efforts in Haiti include:
• Care funds from the Bon Secours Virginia Foundation to support the Haiti Health Care Ministry, which focuses on maternal and child health care, and Salva Vida, an orthopedic outreach to Haiti.
• A partnership with Midwives for Haiti, which trains local Haitians to be skilled midwives, who, in turn, are able to serve their own people.
• Collaborations with organizations to recycle and redistribute equipment and supplies.
• Support for employee initiatives and mission trips with medications, supplies and other available in-kind support.
• A weeklong immersion in Haiti for student nurses, organized by the Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing. This trip prepares student nurses to serve medical needs and enrich their own worldview. Bon Secours Medical Group residents are engaged in similar activities.
To contact the office of Cross-Cultural Services, email email@example.com or phone 804-627-5010.